Career Enhancement Award
|STIPEND||CCHCSP Annual Symposium Travel Grant|
|DURATION||Aligned with salary award.|
|DEADLINE||April and November 1st|
The goal of the Canadian Child Health Clinician Scientist Program (CCHCSP) is to train the next generation of child and youth health clinician scientists in a multidisciplinary context.
CCHCSP seeks to expand the cadre of paediatric clinician researchers training to be clinician scientist in our program, beyond those individuals whose salary awards are paid by CCHCSP. Recruitment of child health clinician-researchers funded via parallel national research training programs, will serve to enrich the number and quality of trainees who participate in CCHCSP’s multi- and interdisciplinary curriculum.
Upon acceptance into the CCHCSP CEP, trainees will be funded to attend and participate in the CCHCSP Annual National Symposium. This includes the non-compulsory opportunity to submit a poster abstract, participate in the Team Research Learning Program, and have a one on one Evaluation with a CCHCSP mentor. In addition, awardees will be requested to complete the CCHCSP web-based and centre based curriculum as part of their training.
Child health clinician scientist trainees receiving a salary award from a research organization (e.g. governmental or non-profit foundation) that grants research training and/or career development awards similar in scope to those granted by CCHCSP via a national competition (e.g. CIHR Fellowships, CIHR Clinician Scientist Program, CIHR New Investigator Award, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Fellowship, Kidney Foundation of Canada Fellowships and Scholarships, etc.). Candidates should contact the CCHCSP to determine the eligibility of a specific award prior to submitting an application. Provincial awards do not meet eligibility requirements. Current CCHCSP awardees who receive a national award during their CCHCSP tenure will be automatically switched to the status of CEP.
Location of Tenure: The award must be held at one of the 17 CCHCSP Institutions, and/or child health research institutes affiliated with these universities. Please speak to your Centre Leader for more details. Centre Leaders are not eligible to apply.
Talk to your Centre Leader 1st: You must contact your Centre Leader to ensure you meet local criteria before submitting your application to the competition.
National Stipend Prerequisite: Child health clinician scientist trainees must be receiving a salary award from a research organization (e.g. governmental or non-profit foundation) that grants research training and/or career development awards similar in scope to those granted by CCHCSP via a national competition (e.g. CIHR Fellowships, CIHR Clinician Scientist Program, CIHR New Investigator Award, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Fellowship, Kidney Foundation of Canada Fellowships and Scholarships, etc). Candidates should contact the CCHCSP to determine the eligibility of a specific award prior to submitting an application. Provincial awards do not meet eligibility requirements.
Timing: Applicants for CEP awards may have just begun or are about to begin their National Award.Current CCHCSP awardees who receive a national award during their CCHCSP tenure will be automatically switched to the status of CEP.
Citizenship: This program is open to Canadians and permanent residents of Canada.
Licensure: Applicants must be licensed to practice their clinical specialty in Canada and/or within the Province of the CCHCSP Centre to which they are applying from.
Degrees: Candidates must hold an appropriate health professional degree in one of the below disciplines and must have completed the appropriate education and clinical training to meet the requirements of an appropriate licensing body to practice as a child health professional in Canada. Professional degrees that are eligible include:
-Medicine and Surgery
-Nutrition, Rehabilitative Sciences and Communication Disorders
-Chiropractic & Midwifery
Applicants must fulfill the corresponding eligibility guidelines of a regular CCHCSP award in order to apply for a CEP. This includes the requirement that applicants are training to be a Clinician-Scientist and not scientist-trainees engaged in clinical research. Applicants may apply at each level of study (PhD, PDF, CDA), with success limited to once per phase of training. Current CCHCSP awardees who receive a national award during their CCHCSP tenure will be automatically switched to the status of CEP
Travel Grant Award: Trainees will receive a travel grant to attend the CCHCSP Annual Symposium in order to support their career development specifically related to research. At the symposium, awardees will have the optional opportunity to submit a poster abstract, participate in the Team Research Learning Program, and have a one on one evaluation with a CCHCSP mentor. These options in the past have been closed to fully funded trainees and will now be open to CEP recipients.
Duration: The duration of the award will be consistent with the duration of a personnel (salary) award from a research granting agency, with a maximum equivalent to the corresponding CCHCSP salary award. Approval for funding beyond 1 year will be dependent upon evidence of continued salary support from the national research granting agency and completion of an annual review.
Deadline to apply: The competition deadline is April 1st and November 1st of each year. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. Applicants who are unsuccessful may reapply only once, the following year. Failure to do so will forfeit a reapplication for that level of study. If the application competition date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, applications will be due on the first business day following (i.e. If April 1 falls on a Saturday, applications will be due on the Monday, April 3). Please check with your local center for center specific deadlines for submission.
When you are ready to submit your application click on the “submit now” button above to complete the online form. You will be asked to upload each of the required documents below.
A complete application consists of:
- CEP application form: Please find a link below under related documents. Name it "1 CandidateLastname _CEPApp".
- Proof of Canadian licensure: Documentation of general or academic license by an appropriate licensing body. Must be valid within the province you are studying. Please include expiration date on uploaded document. If you are a psychology applicant, please upload a letter of proof of clinical training end date and intent to apply for a license from your clinical supervisor. Please name it "2 CandidateLastname _License"
- Proof of citizenship: A pdf of your passport preferred when applicable. Please name it “3 CandidateLastname_Citizenship”
- National award application: Please provide a pdf or your award application and name it “4 CandidateLastname_Award App”
- Award Statement: Please provide a copy of your personnel award statement from a granting organization that adjudicates at the national level. This statement should include a start date, end date and/or duration. Please name it “5 CandidateLastname_AwardState”
- Your CIHR Academic CV Module: Please name it “6 CandidateLastname_CV”
- Your Primary Mentor or Supervisor’s CIHR Academic CV Module: Please name it “7 CandidateLastname_CVSup” or “7 CandidateLastname_CVMentor”
- Memorandum of training: This letter should be 1 page maximum, written and signed by your supervisor(s), mentor(s) and Centre Leader. Prior to your application, kindly meet with your mentorship team to obtain a clear explanation of expectations and develop a path for your training. This letter will describe the plans of your mentorship discussed in that meeting. Kindly name it "8 CandidateLastName_MOT"
- Centre Leader support: Kindly attach a maximum 1 page letter from your Centre Leader, supporting your application. Please name is "9 CandidateLastName_CLLtr"
French applications: Applications may be submitted in French. Please note, you are requested to advise the CCHCSP National Office of your intent to submit in French 4 weeks prior to the application deadline.
Issues/Questions? Email email@example.com CCHCSP Program Manager
Review and evaluation of the application will be conducted by the multidisciplinary Selection Committee of the CCHCSP based on the qualification of the applicant, the research training proposal and the research training environment. The adjudication process will be that of a partial CIHR peer-review committees. No interviews will be required. Candidates will be notified via email of the outcome.