An established clinician scientist serves as the CCHCSP Centre Leader in each of the 17 Pediatric Academic centres. In many centres, there will also be a co-leader who may be from another clinical discipline. Centre Leaders are nominated by the local institution and approved by the CCHCSP Executive to serve 5 year terms, with possibility for one additional term. The following outlines the roles and responsibilities of Centre Leaders.
- Advocate and Advertise
- Help identify upcoming stars across all disciplines for CCHCSP
- Meet with department heads regarding CCHCSP
- Promote the local sessions and build attendance
- Support and guide those within the program as funded trainees and those attending local sessions
- Interact and network with your trainees at the monthly sessions
- Direct the local centre-based curriculum sessions
- Create a session schedule for the curriculum year (Sept – May).
- Track attendance at each session
Submit a list of students for certification before each annual symposium (Certification is provided to any student who attends 10 sessions within 2 years.)
- Contribute to national network of CCCHSP mentors
- Attend the annual symposium
- Attend 2-3 centre leader meetings per year
- Give feedback on curriculum
- Be available to assist trainees from other centres
- Prepare local applicants for CCHCSP award competitions
- Meet and mentor the candidate: In order for a candidate to apply for a CCHCSP award, they must meet with the Centre Leader first. The Centre leader will mentor the candidate and help them put forward a strong application, in collaboration with the identified primary supervisor. The Centre Leader must provide a letter of support for the candidate and sign off on the mentorship plan.
- Internal Review: The Centre Leader will facilitate an internal peer review to strengthen the application prior to submission. Internal peer review processes are different at each center, and may include a panel or one on one feedback prior to applying.
- Matching Funds: The Centre Leader will ensure the applicant has secured a guarantee of matching funds prior to application submission. Source of matching funds will vary based on the institutional policy and practice.
SAY HELLO TO YOUR CENTRE LEADERS